One more try re source of Buddhist story.

Yaroslav Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Thu Nov 11 22:04:39 UTC 1999

Dear Mr Spier,
        this story, in particular, was told by Ramakrishna to his disciples. It seems
to me that I have read it recently in the Russian translation of Isherwood's book on
the great Indian mystic. This version was purely Hindu, with no Buddha in it.
        The parable (in its Buddhist version) gained renewed popularity in India quite
recently, after the nuclear bomb test. I had an opportunity to hear it told by a high
Indian state official - head of a delegation which came to Russia very soon after
the event.
                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov