Tibetan Origin of Tantrism and Siva

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Thu Jan 14 01:21:36 UTC 1999

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Op donderdag, 14-jan-99 schreef Samar Abbas:
>
> SA> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
> SA>> It's a very peculiar point of view, taken into account the fact that
> the
> SA>> Chinese never accepted the typical tantric rites, because they were
> SA>> shocked by it.
>
> SA> That goes for Confucianism. We are talking about mainly Tibet and
> perhpas
> SA> Taoism. Taoism does not display the attitudes you mention.
>
> Taoism is about making an immortal body not about getting liberated from
> samsara.

Who said anything about samsara? The alchemy of Taoism has much in
common with that of Tantrism including the centrality of the
interaction of opposites.

<clip>

> SA> Then Shiva-Shakti is the same as Yin-Yang.
>
> This is pure nonsens yin and yang are not antropological concepts, but more
> like the gu.na's in saamkhya. Originally they were the shady and the sunny
> side of a mountain.

This is erroneous.  Yin and yang have stood for opposites from some of
the earliest literature to include male and female, receptive and
creative. Yin and Yang are the original creative forces from which
the entire universe evolved according to the Nei Ching (Manual
of the Yellow Emperor). A quote from Veith's translation:

"The principle of Yin and Yang is the basis of the entire universe. It
is the principle of creation. It brings about the transformation to
parenthood; it is the root and source of life and death..."

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala