Tibetan Origin of Tantrism and Siva

jonathan silk jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 14 03:42:08 UTC 1999

Samar Abbas wrote:
>   One of the references I had given was `Obscure Religious Cults' by
>Dasgupta, 1969. If the `what is known' you mention pre-date this, then
>these theories are likely to go the way of 1960s automobiles: the
>scrapyard.

I think you owe it to yourself and your audience to be a bit more careful.
If you had read the prefaces to this book, you would see that it was
written in 1939. A Second edition was published in 1962, reprinted
thereafter several times. The Preface to the 2nd edition lists the works
which were taken into account in the revisions made, according to the
author, "here and there"; no work is later than Snellgrove's 1959 edition
of the Hevajratantra. In other words, this is a work of  40 years ago.
Quite a bit has gone on in the world of Indian and Tantric studies in that
time...

Jonathan SILK

jonathan.silk at yale.edu