FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Thu Jan 14 00:42:43 UTC 1999

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Op woensdag, 13-jan-99 schreef Paul Kekai Manansala:
>
> PKM> I totally disagree with your views on Tantrism in China. The whole
> body
> PKM> of Japanese tantrism came first from China.  Also, Taoist ideas about
> PKM> sex may be different in some ways from those of Tantrism, but there
> are
> PKM> also many similarities that can hardly be found anywhere else.
>
> Wrong again, there've been quite a few orgiastic groups among the gnostics
> in Egypt (a certain Basilides was famous) and in the European middle ages,
> you can also find similarites in the lives of Greek Stoics.

Well, I wan't referring to "orgiastic groups."  I suppose they had these
in the Malay Archipelago and Tahiti as well.  The idea of yin-yang,
yab-yum, siva-sakti as related to ritual sex though is what I find
common.

> PKM> There is no need to refer me to "Tibetologists" or "Sinologists" if
> you
> PKM> by that you mean the standard Western views.  These are and have long
> PKM> been controlled by strong bias that do not allow openly for ideas that
> PKM> contradict their world view.  The latter tends to have a
> monodirectional
> PKM> and racial view of the flow of culture.
>
> That seems a strong bias to me, the more considering the fact that there are> quite a few Japanese and Chinese sinologists and Tibetologists (even an> occasional Tibetan has escaped the claws of the church and made a carreer> in science).

There are some Western scholars who would also agree with Tantric texts
regarding Mahacina as well as Indian, Tibetan and Chinese ones.  Samar
mentioned the works of one Indian sch>olar.

And you seem to forget that texts seldomly lie. If you read> Chinese and
>Tibetan texts there's little room for bias left.

The texts state that Tantrism or some doctrines in Tantrism come from
Mahacina.  I agree they don't lie.

 How open are> you for ideas that contradict you're worldview?

Probably more open than you.  I don't have as much invested in centuries
of racial science.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala