FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at KABELFOON.NL
Thu Jan 14 18:51:28 UTC 1999

Op woensdag, 13-jan-99 schreef Paul Kekai Manansala:

PKM> I totally disagree with your views on Tantrism in China. The whole
body
PKM> of Japanese tantrism came first from China.  Also, Taoist ideas about
PKM> sex may be different in some ways from those of Tantrism, but there
are
PKM> also many similarities that can hardly be found anywhere else.

Wrong again, there've been quite a few orgiastic groups among the gnostics
in Egypt (a certain Basilides was famous) and in the European middle ages,
you can also find similarites in the lives of Greek Stoics.

PKM> There is no need to refer me to "Tibetologists" or "Sinologists" if
you
PKM> by that you mean the standard Western views.  These are and have long
PKM> been controlled by strong bias that do not allow openly for ideas that
PKM> contradict their world view.  The latter tends to have a
monodirectional
PKM> and racial view of the flow of culture.

That seems a strong bias to me, the more considering the fact that there are
quite a few Japanese and Chinese sinologists and Tibetologists (even an
occasional Tibetan has escaped the claws of the church and made a carreer
in science). And you seem to forget that texts seldomly lie. If you read
Chinese and Tibetan texts there's little room for bias left. How open are
you for ideas that contradict you're worldview?

Regards
--
erik

  Erik Hoogcarspel           <    jehms at kabelfoon.nl     ><
Boerhaaveln 99b     >
                             <    tl+31.(0)104157097    ><       3112 LE
Schiedam    >
                             <    fx+31.(0)842113137    ><       Holland