Ref. check- Possible misprint in critical edition Bhag. Gita

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Feb 27 01:52:26 UTC 1999

Hello Folks,

To clarify the confusion regarding Belvalkar's editions.  I have in front
of me an edition of the Bhagavadgita by Belvalkar, published in 1959 (the
date on the preface) in Hindu Vishvavidyalaya Nepal Rajya Sanskrit Series,
Vol 1.  The editor of the Series is given as V.S. Agrawala.  It contains a
translation of the BG by Belvalkar himself in English.  I suspect that the
edition with a Hindi translation by Agrawala must be a later Hindi version
of this publication.  This edition cites variants without always giving
sources. With reference to these variants, Agrawala says in his
Introduction:

        "At the special suggestion of the late Pandit Madan Mohan
Malaviya, Dr. Belvalkar has recorded in a clear manner, only the principal
variants of the different Northern and Southern Recensions without
indicating the names of the manuscripts.  On making use of these
footnotes, one is, therefore, treading on sure ground, although
comfortably relieved from the mesh of several recensions and versions."
(p. vii).

        Now the text of the line (BG 11.25) is indeed given as
                "dRSTvaiva kAlAnalasaMnibhAni"

However, Belvalkar's footnote indeed says:

        'dRSTvaiva' iti sthAne 'dRSTveva' iti pAThaH', p. 91.

Hope we have at least traced what Belvalkar himself says on this point,
though without a clear reference to a particular source.

        Best,
                                Madhav Deshpande