Re Potala(ka), etc

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 26 22:48:02 UTC 1999

-> Some are purely fiction stories
-> like the manimEkalai passages where we see a viJcaiyan2.

  I think there is a story of a Vidyadhara couple coming
  from the North to make a pilgrimage to Mt. Potiyil
  in the Buddhist epic, Manimekalai (6th century AD).

 As I recall the text does NOT explicitly state that
 the couple are Buddhists. May be Caataanaar allows
 for "syncreticism" to work considering that the Manimekalai
 is a syncretic work.

 Does Manimekalai call the Vidyadhara couple, the pilgrims
 to the famed Mount Potiyil as Hindu explicitly?

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan