Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

michael witzel witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 17 20:12:53 UTC 1999

>I believe we have to differentiate between Early Chinese
>Translations and Early Manuscripts of Early Chinese Translations!
>It is specially visible for those found in China where scholars deal
>with manuscripts from the centuries BC times very often!! And
>compare them to the received versions!!

Precisely.
I noticed  the same difference between the old Xinjiang MS of the
Sardulavikritia Avadana (at Bodleian Libr., Oxford -- the other part is at
St.Petersburg)  and the printed version in the Avadana coll. , which is
based on relatively late (17th /18th c.) MSS from Nepal.
Over c. 1000 years a lot has been added  to the text in South Asia/Nepal...
A comparison of the fairly early Chinese transl . (3rd cent. I recall?) may
help, of course. There are several Chin. transl....

Michael Witzel

DEPARTMENT OF SANSKRIT AND INDIAN STUDIES
HARVARD UNIVERSITY
2 DIVINITY AVENUE
CAMBRIDGE, MA  02138, U.S.A.

(617) 495-3295   FAX:  (617) 496-8571