SAmkhya/Yoga question

george9252 george9252 at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Fri Dec 17 02:07:43 UTC 1999

In Shamkara's view, Samkhya metaphysics and cosmology would not make sense
even if purusha were one rather than many. The weak link is the
non-interaction (or non-contact) between prakriti and purusha.

According to Shamkara in his Brahmasutra-Bhashya,  the Samkhyas held that
prakriti and purusha are absolutely distinct from one another and do not in
any way really interact. The pradhana (prakriti) is initially composed of
the three gunas (sattva, rajas, tamas) in a state of perfect equilibrium.
Beyond the pradhana, there is no external force that can either activate the
pradhana or prevent its activity. The Soul (purusha) is indifferent; it
neither moves nor restrains. Shamkara argues that since the pradhana has (on
Samkhya assumptions) no relationship with anything outside itself, it is
impossible to understand why it should sometimes depart from a state of
equilibrium and transform itself into a world and why it should sometimes
not do this but rather remain in the state of equilibrium. The three gunas,
co-existing in a state of perfect equilibrium in which each is completely
independent of the others, cannot enter into relations of inferiority or
superiority with one another; and since there is no external principle or
force to stir them up, the initiation of activity in the pradhana and the
consequent evolution of a world seems impossible.

Dr. George Cronk
Dept. of Philosophy & Religion
Bergen Community College (NJ)