SAmkhya/Yoga question

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Dec 17 12:25:47 UTC 1999

nanda chandran wrote:

> I've a question on SAmkhya/Yoga philosophy :
>
> The SAmkhya/Yoga schools posit the reality of matter (prAkriti) and
> innumerable (Selves) Purushas. While Purushas are supposed to be the
> mere observers, PrAkriti is said to evolve for the satisfaction of the
> Purushas. Classical SAmkh ......

I am tempted to re-narrate the story of the Vaihnava tradition regardng Purusha and
Prakrti.

When Miiraa went to see Jiva Goswami, she was told by a disciple that the Goswai never
sets his eyes upon a woman. and hence will not see her. Upon hearing this Miirra remaked
in surprise, "I had heard that in Vrindavan the only Purusha was Krishna and all other
were Gopis."  Overhearing this comment, Jiva Goswami rushed out of his selision and fell
at Mira's feet saying, "You have opened my eyes to truth." Goswai was enlightened by the
Mira whom he had initiated in childhood.

The argument, so it seems to me, about the duality of Purusha and Prakrtii is only a the
level of speculation. Experientially , through samadhi, there can be consciouness of
Purusha and nothing else, so we are told. But out of nirvikalpa there is only prakrti.
For the Jivamuktas ,there is neither or both.

bharat Gupt