Tripitaka of the Vipassana Research Institute

Jae-sung Kim (Jung Won) lh57061 at HONGO.ECC.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
Thu Apr 22 18:50:55 UTC 1999

Dear Dr. Alexander v. Rospatt,

I usually do not use Tripitaka edition published by the "Vipassana Research
Institute(VRI)".But I frequently use CD-ROM of VRI. I think it's very useful
for researching. And you can find cross-referenc of PTS editions in this
CD-ROM edition.

On  Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:18:08 +0200 $B!$ (BMichael Pahlke <pahlke at UNI-HAMBURG.DE>
wrote ;

> 1) As a general tendency, how to rate the readings of the Burmese
> edition from the perspective of higher textul criticism?
> 2) How reliable does the Tripitaka edition published by the "Vipassana
> Research Institute" reproduce the Burmese edition. I.e. how frequent are >typos?
> Have readings anywhere by changed on purpose?

> A last question in this respect, again for someone well acuainted with
> Tripitaka edition published by the "Vipassana Research Institute". :
> On p. [xviii] of the first volume (Dighanikaya, part 1), the editors
> state that their edition has been cross-referenced with that of the PTS.
> I fail, however, to find any reference to the pagination of the PTS
> edition in the running text of the Tripitaka edition published by the
> "Vipassana Research Institute". Is there a "trick" which has eluded me?

KIM Jae-sung (Jung Won)
Department of Indian Philosophy and Buddhist Studies
University of Tokyo
e-mail : jungwon at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp