XXth Zograph Conference at St Petersburg

Burt Thorp bthorp at PLAINS.NODAK.EDU
Tue Apr 20 13:55:57 UTC 1999

Sounds like a great meeting.  Please let us know if the the proceedings are
published at some point (in English?  in Russian?).  Maybe it's time for
Indologists to learn to read Russian (in the same way that
Indo-Europeanists do).

At 11:13 AM 4/20/99 +0400, Yaroslav V. Vassilkov wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>        below is the programme of the latest Indological event at
>St Petersburg (Russia), which can give you an idea of basic trends and range
>of topics in Indian studies here.
>        Best regards,
>                                                Yaroslav Vassilkov
>
>XXth ZOGRAPH CONFERENCE
>"TRADITIONAL INDIAN TEXTS:
>PROBLEMS OF INTERPRETATION"
>St Petersburg, April 14-16, 1999
>
>Venue: Dvortsovaya nab., 18, Institute of Oriental Studies
(Novomikhailovsky Palace), the Green Hall.

>April 14, 1999, Wednesday.                               11.00
>
>Conference Opening. Address of the Guest of Honour: Mrs Nirupama Rao, Deputy
>Chief of Mission (Embassy of India in Moscow).
>
>Mikhail N. BOGOLYUBOV (SPb State University). Avestan aethra- (*aithra-)
>'school', aethrya- 'schoolboy' and Vedic adhyetar (*adhi-aitar).
>Margarita F. ALBEDIL (Institute of Ethnology). Proto-Indian system of writing
>and mythological thinking.
>Alexei A. VIGASIN (Moscow State University). Greek-Indian dialog in the
middle of the 3rd century BCE.
>Alexandr M. DUBIANSKY (Moscow State University). On the problem of the
interaction between Southern and Northern cultural tradition.

>April 14, Wednesday, 1999.                                     15.00
>
>Svetlana S.NEVELEVA (SPb Institute of Oriental Studies). Epic azvamedha -
2: Arjuna's raid.
>Yaroslav V. VASSILKOV (SPb Institute of Oriental Studies). On the original
semantic model of Ancient Indian terms meaning "God".
>Julia KOKOVA (SPb State University). "Let NArAyaNa protect me!": On the
genre charachteristic of a text from the BhAgavata-purANa.

>April 15, Thursday.                                                     11.00
>
>Victoria G. LYSENKO (Institute of Philosophy, Moscow). The Discontinuous
and the Continuous in the 2nd kANDa of the VAkyapadIya.
>Michael HILAIN (Sorbonne, France). Memory and Unconcious in the Yoga-SUtras.
>Andrei PARIBOK (SPb Institute of Oriental Studies). On the notion of
skandha-s.

>April 15, Thursday.                                                 15.00
>
>Dmitry N. LELYUKHIN (Moscow Institute of Oriental Studies). The "grants"
of the SAtavAhanas: problems of interpretation.
>Sergei S. TAWASTSTJERNA (SPb State University). What are the "bad" words?
>Maxim A. VOROSHILOV (SPb State University). ASTAngahRdaya-saMhitA by
VAgbhaTa - a text of Ayurvedic tradition.
>Svetlana O. TSVETKOVA (SPb State University). 'Zabda' in Classical
Sanskrit definition of Poetry.

>April 16, Friday.                                           11.00
>
>Lev N. MEN'SHIKOV  (SPb Institute of Oriental Studies).. On some specific
features of the aesthetic system in the "Lotus Sutra".
>Nikita V. GUROV  (SPb State University). The image of the World Tree in
Telugu Epic Songs.
>Elena K. BROSALINA  (SPb State University). Some ethnolinguistic
peculiarities of the "ZrI RAmakRSNa's Revelation".
>Irina V. KOZYREVA  (SPb State University). "Colour terminology" in
Bengali: major approaches.
>Tatiana A. DUBIANSKAYA (Moscow State University). New ideology and
traditional poetics in the novels by Jaishankar Prasad.
>Marina V. OREL'SKAYA (SPb State University). Two versions of the
"Abhinaya-darpana" by Nandikezvara.

Burt Thorp
English Department
University of North Dakota