DDK (Re: Indus Script)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Sep 20 23:34:11 UTC 1998

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Sreenivas Paruchuri wrote:

> > 2. Rajaram claims that Jacobi the mathematician was influenced by Vedic
> > mathematics...Has anybody seen this elsewhere? I've read about the life
>
> I thought he was refering to the German Indologist (/Philologist) Hermann
> Jacobi!?

It seems likely that Rajaram is confusing his Hermans. Herman Grassmann
(1809-77). The latter was a very fine mathematician, but turned to Vedic
studies apparently in disgust when his substantial mathematical
contributions were not recognized.  (They were appreciated posthumously.)

It would not be correct to say that Grassman's mathematics was influenced
by his Vedic studies.

---
Dominik Wujastyk
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/