upasargavazena dhaatvarthavipari.naamaat

Elliot Stern emstern at NNI.COM
Mon Oct 5 14:02:35 UTC 1998

In the passage referred to by Madhav Deshpande, kau.n.dabha.t.ta.h cites
only two verses from tantravaartikam to miimaa.msaasuutram 1.3.33
(Anandashrama SS edition, 1970 A,D. reprint, 250.10-13). The
vaiyaakara.nabhuu.sa.nasaara.h passage in question reads (as edited by
Balakrsna Pancholi, in Kashi Sanskrit Series 188; Varanasi, 1969 printing;
377.3-378.2):

ukta.m caak.rtyadhikara.navaarttike
        caturvidhe pade caatra dvividhasyaarthanir.naya.h /
        kriyate sa.mzayotpatternopasarganipaatayo.h //
        tayorarthaabhidhaane hi vyaapaaro naiva vidyate /
        yadarthadyotakau tau tu vaacaka.h sa vicaaryate // iti //.

        upasarge.na dhatvartho balaadanya.h pratiiyate /
        prahaaraahaaravihaaraparihaaravat // iti //
atropasargapada.m nipaatopalak.sa.nam / dhaatupada.m padaantarasyeti bodhyam //

As I read it, the first *iti* (after the second verse) ends the domain of
*ukta.m caak.rtyadhikara.navaarttike*. The third verse is introduced
without ascription, and followed by a brief comment.

It should further be noted that sthiramati.h, the author of the
madhyaantavibhaaga.tiikaa, seems to have lived in the 6th century A.D.,
while kumaarila.h evidently was active in the first half of the 7th century
A.D.

That said, it seems clear that the verse is not kumaarila's.

Elliot Stern

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143-2029