upasargavazena dhaatvarthavipari.naamaat

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Oct 5 10:33:25 UTC 1998

The verse that I have come across in the grammatical literature has a
slightly different reading:
        upasarge.na dhaatvartho balaad anya.h pratiiyate /
        prahaaraahaarasa.mhaaravihaaraparihaaravat //
The reference in front of me is from Kau.n.dabha.t.ta's Vaiyaakara.na-
bhuu.sa.nasaara (Nipaataarthanir.naya section), edited by Tarakeshwar
Shastri Chaturvedi, Adarsha Granthamala, No. 2, Varanasi, 1965, p. 377.
Here, this verse is among the verses introduced with the comment: ukta.m
caak.rtyadhikara.navaarttike.  This must be Tantravaarttika of Kumaarila
on Miimaa.msaasuutra 1.3.33 (aak.rtis tu kriyaarthatvaat).  Check the
Anandrashrama edition of MS (with bhaazya and vaarttika), Pt. I, pp.
302ff.  I have this reference from one of my own earlier publications, and
I don't have that volume at hand at the moment.

                                Madhav Deshpande