Is the Aryan Invasion a Myth?

Partha Banerjee partha at CAPITAL.NET
Sun Nov 29 18:30:09 UTC 1998

Shauna Singh Baldwin <sbaldwin at EXECPC.COM> writes:

>Is there a consensus among historians about the Aryan invasion of India
>that was taught when I was in high school in India in the seventies?
>Lately I've been hearing more discussion about
>the "Myth of the Aryan Invasion" (there is a book by that name,
>published by Voice
>of India in 1995), ...

Voice of India is a publishing house run largely by the Sangh Parivar (RSS,
VHP, BJP, etc.) that preaches Hindutva (i.e., Hindu supremacist doctrines).
The Sangh Parivar has always been against the theory of Aryan invasion, not
on the basis of historical evidences, but on the basis of ideological
beliefs.

These beliefs have often made other presumptions such as the "hypothesis"
that Taj Mahal was built by a Hindu king and not by Mughal emperor
Shah-Jehan. Even a conservative historian such as Dr. Ramesh Chandra
Mazumdar was outraged by such presumptions.