Is the Aryan Invasion a Myth?

Yaroslav V. Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Sun Nov 29 15:47:25 UTC 1998

H.M.Hubey wrote (Nov.30):

>1. The lower numerals (like 3,4,5) were apparently being developed in
>the
>Middle East/Sumeria around 3,000 BC. (see Denise Schmand-Bessarat, or
>Diakanoff). But then circa 4500 BC a bunch of cattle-herders already
>have
>the integers (in decimal no less) up to a hundred! How is that possible?

        Do you mean that before the Sumerians (Turkic-speaking, of course),
"developed numerals", all other poor devils could not count up to 3, 4, 5?

>2. These people ran over, invaded and sacked half the world on horses
>and
>carts but cart-wheels can't be made without wood or metals, and there is
>no wood or metals in the areas from which the IEans issued because they
>are from the steppes. Why isn't it likely that they got their carts made
>in civilized areas and which had wood, like North of India or north of
>the Caucasus?

        Vedic chariots were made without any metal, there was no single nail
in them.
        There is a lot of wood in the Ukraine or South Ural, for example, and
metallurgy is well known there starting from the IV-III mill. B.C.
        Most intriguing problem is in what particular way these illiterate
IE bums made their orders for imports of car(t)s from the "civilized areas"
in the Near East?

>3....Nomads could not even bake bread the normal way. After the iron age,
>then made flat breads (pita), and these
>flat breads can be found in historical times to be made by nomads, like
>Turkic nomads (pide), Afghan bread, Berber bread etc. Before that the
>easiest
>way to cook grains was to boil them in water, hence the foods like
>Polish
>'pirogi' are thought to be from Turkic (burek) and these are the modern
>nomads.

        Polish "pierogi" - Plural, "pierog" - Sing., Russian "pirog",
Ukranian "pirig" go back to common Slavic word *pyro- meaning "ritual
wheat bread" (there is also some connection with *pir "ritual feast").
Cf. Greek "pyros" "wheat", Lith. "purai", eventually common IE *pU-ro-
(Pokorny I, 850). There is no possibility of its connection with "burek"
or any other Turkic word. The link with Chuvash "pyrek", Chagat. "burek",
suggested by Ramstedt and Rasanen was rejected nany decades ago by all
linguists.

        In the same way anything else in this posting has no foundation
in facts and is not even "intuitive", but simply a product of absolutely
unbridled imagination.

                       Best regards,
                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov

volcanic eruption like Thera/Santorini?

The biggest problem is that there seems to be no way to date metals.
Nobody
knows where the bronze, iron items came from. Nobody even seems to want
know. At least I am not aware of anyone who has done any thorough
analysis.
There is more to metals then what "style" they look like. They probably
have
different amounts of impurities in them, and may even contain hints of
different smelting and working techniques. Unfortunately some of these
tests are destructive. Maybe archaeologists and museums will learn
eventually
to part with small bits of metal objects to further the goal of science
than
to learn to polish them and keep them sparkling for visitors. Even the
amount of
oxidation may be important in attempting to date their manufacture date
but
my guess is that the only thing archaeologists think about is getting
them
polished and cleaned as soon as possible and then look at the drawings
on them
so they can label them Greek, Latin, Scythian etc.

--
Best Regards,
Mark