Paired Horse and PIE breakup

H.M.Hubey hubeyh at MONTCLAIR.EDU
Thu Nov 5 03:53:19 UTC 1998

Paul Kekai Manansala wrote:

> N. Ganesan wrote:
>  Why the horse ritual and
> >      divine horse-twins myth are similar for a much greater time depth?
> >      No evidence for such an effective horse complex evangelism
> >      in second or third or seventh millennium B.C.
> >

> There doesn't have to be evangelism for horse rituals or chariots to
> spread around.  If you look at the culture described by Gimbutas
> it looks a lot more like recent and/or modern Altaic or Uralic cultures
> than anything else. If you compare the Scythian culture described by
> Herodotus and others with the culture of the Hun, Magyars and Mongols,
> there are a great many parallels. Yet, it is suggested that these people
> had different language associations.

The wolf myth exists among Romans and Turkic peoples. Herodotus reports
of
a people in Scythia who turned to wolves every year. He says he does not
believe it but reports that everyone says it's true. No link? What if it
came from the Etruscans to the Romans? Miziev has a list of words which
are
from the ancient inhabitants of the European steppes and finds old
Turkic
etymologies for many of them. I have never seen any of these words or
their
meanings in any book written in English. Most of them are very good.
Does anyone know where this info comes from?

Look at some common cultural words/items:

Etruscan                Turkic
--------                ------
Turan                   Turan           Turan is Etruscan fertility/love
                                        goddess. Tuwurghan is Turkic for
                                        'she who gives birth'. Something like
                                        'tud' (tuwdu) is Sumerian for having
                                        to do with birth, and begetting.

Tiber                   Temir           Iron. Etruscans had iron mines at the
                                        River Tiber.

Tursi/Tusci             Turk            The name Romans gave Etruscans.

Rasenna/Rashna          Asena/Ashina    Etruscan name for themselves and the other
                                        word is the royal house that gave leaders
                                        to the Turkic peoples. Rasenna is probably
                                        also cognate with "Nasili".

Tarchon                 Tarkhan         Nobody knows exactly what Tarchon means
                                        but the Etruscans gave the royal house                                          Tarquinius to Rome.
Tarkhan is a title
                                        in Turkic but it shows up in plural form
                                        as 'tarkhat' which is not Turkic.

The custom of seizing the king and asking him how long he will rule and
killing
him if he rules longer is reported among the Turkic speakers. Similar
customs
are reported among Nilo-Saharan speakers. How many people could have
such
strange customs?

--
Best Regards,