SV: method of dating RV, III

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at WXS.NL
Mon Nov 2 12:15:55 UTC 1998

Paul Kekai Manansala <kekai at JPS.NET> wrote:

>Maybe I'm having a mental block, but isn't the oldest evidence of IE in
>this region (Media, N. Persia) the Achamenian cuneiform inscriptions
>from around 600 BCE?

Depends on your definition of evidence.  There is indeed direct
evidence from the Achaemenid inscriptions starting sometime before
500 BC.  Strong indirect evidence from Mesoptamian records mentioning
Medes and Persians for the first time in the 9th c. BC.  Weaker
archaeological evidence for contuinity in Western Iran back to the
start of the Iron Age, c. 1400 BC.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam