Horses

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 29 13:56:46 UTC 1998

hi,

There is a small horse or pony in the region. It is
called :
t.a~_gun a species of hill pony (Ka_s.mi_ri_); t.a~_gan, t.a~_n.an
(Nepalese)

Two of them draw a

t.onga: ta_n:ka_ < ta_n:ga_ (Urdu) t.onga, wheeled conveyance drawn by
two ponies (Tamil)

Regards,
k.

---Martin Bemmann <martin.bemmann at URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE> wrote:

> Sn. Subrahmanya schrieb:
> >
> > Just as an FYI:
> >
> > There was some very intersting news on the BBC today about
> > Turkmen horses.
> >
> > It seems that these horses (heard it as ako teki ? ) are the
> > finest in the world, and far superior to the Persian horses.
> >

> I didn't see the report but most probably you are refering to the
famous
> Akhal Teke horses, the *blood sweating* or *heavenly* horses adored by
> the Chinese. There should be a vast literature on them. A short
article
> is available online at: http://www.silk-road.com/artl/maslow.shtml
> There is even an *akhal-teke-network* on the web ;)
> http://www.akhalteke.net/
>
> Regards,
> --
> Martin Bemmann
>
> Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften
> >Felsbilder und Inschriften am Karakorum Highway<
> Karlstrasse 4
> Postfach 102769
> D-69017 Heidelberg  -- Germany
>
> phone: ++49-6221-543276  fax: ++49-6221-543355
> mailto:martin.bemmann at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
> http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/sonst/adw/kara/welcome.html

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)