Sarasvati (texts & arch.II)

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed May 27 22:14:27 UTC 1998

At 14:54 27.05.98 PDT, you wrote:
>Lars MArtin Foss:
>>
>>(Sources for 1) and 3) are TV programs, which is why I can't give you
>more precise details).
>

>With all due respect to you Lars, should we be taking TV programs so
>seriously?(i.e. if the company that made these programs is as
>knowledgable and *objective* as dear old CNN, the less said the better
>)...

It would depend on the program, of course! In this case, the program seemed
well documented, it was a popular, but "scientific" exposition of the early
geological and natural history of Meso-America and the Indies with a bit of
history and ethnography thrown in. But I DO mention that it is TV, which
means that I am not *entirely* confident. The underlying assumption is, of
course, that there are so many shisthas out there on Indology net that a
couple of them might know more about this and correct me if I am wrong. (I
don't HAVE to be right all the time, I am quite happy to be wrong sometimes :-))

> << Is there a memory of the migration Japanese to Japan? The theory
>"are not usually forgotten" could easily be tested on people that
>migrate to islands.>>
>
>AFAIK, the JApanese version is that the Goddess Ameratsu breathed life
>into the first Japanese person ON the islands of Japan. There seems to
>have been no such migration-memory prevalent..What I do know is that
>some of the Chinese believed that the Japanese were descended from a
>group of ship-wrecked Chinese sailors...this seems to a case where
>migration has been forgotten..
>
>OTOH, the Sinhalese do remember their migration from India very
>distinctly..Coming to think of it, all the immigrations that started off
>from India are remembered in one form or the other...

But wouldn't it be a point here that most - if not all - of these migrations
started not long before or after writing had been invented? Anyway, my point
was this: Migrations are sometimes remembered, sometimes not. The fact that
the early Aryans had little or no memory of their migrations into India
therefore proves very little.

Best regards,

Lars Martin

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse