Verbal Reflexives

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 27 14:16:06 UTC 1998

Hi,

This is an excellent point. This is characteristic
of the entire linguistic area and is perhaps, ancient. In Hindi, it is
very common to add the auxiliary: -liya_. e.g.,maine_ le_ liya_ (I
have taken for myself).

Regards,
k.

---Jaroslav Strnad <strnad at SITE.CAS.CZ> wrote:

> The so called compound verbs occur in modern Indo-aryan languages as
> well: in Hindi, for example, a construction of verbal stem (or simple
> absolutive, as this form is often called) with the verb "lenaa", "to
> take" suggests that the action expressed by the stem/simple absolutive
> is done for the use or interest of the doer himself, is directed
towards
> the doer, etc.
> E.g.: likhnaa - to write
>       likh lenaa - to write for one's own use, to write down.
> Compound verbs where the second member modifies the meaning (and in
> quite a few cases also the verbal aspect) of the first, is probably
one
> of characteristic features of the Indian linguistic area.
>
>                                                 Jaroslav Strnad
>                                                 strnad at orient.cas.cz

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)