Sankara, Vivekananda &c.

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Sat Mar 28 12:34:30 UTC 1998

Re: Sankara, Vivekananda &c.

Bhadraiah Mallampalli wrote:
>As for VivekanandA, one statement that I thought is his original (most other
>stuff is spiritual), reads something like "Education is the manifestation of
>the knowledge that is already in the mind etc".  This implies that people
>already know, but the knowledge is just uncovered by the process of education.
>Any one knows this idea is expressed by any thinker before him?

I think this is related to the Indian idea that Knowledge is
eternal, ever existing. Remember the puranic story that vedas
were stolen by demons, hidden under the sea, Vishnu recovers them.
Alvar bhakti poetry, the divya prabandham of 4000 verses, were
lost. In a flash, upon meditation Nathamuni brings them back
to the world.

Regards,
N.Ganesan