Indo-Aryan migration vs Indigenous origin - scholarly debate

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Mar 14 14:03:32 UTC 1998

Dear Indology list members,
I have been following various discussions on this topic and
can understand the rudeness of the colonial researchers and
opinions of the natioalist scholars.  For persons from the
subcontinent, the topic does get emotional.

I seem to agree with Ed Bryant's views to create a scholarly
debate on the topic such that the evidences are presented
and defended.  A set of books/papers on a particular evidence
may be recommended for people to refer and express opinions.
As has been suggested one can take up a particular topic
for a couple of months, move on and revisit later.  The
material on the debate can be indexed and archived.

If this is agreeable, let the first ball roll..
We may begin with the evidence of outside origin on language.
Let a proponent enumerate and present.

Regards

- Bijoy Misra