Indo-Aryan migration vs Indigenous origin - scholarly debate

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Fri Mar 6 10:55:51 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:

> Swami Vivekananda on Aryan Invasion Theory

[ ... ]

Couldn't help laughing on reading this!

> I totally agree with Vidyasankar. Swami Vivekananda was needed
> to counter overenthusiastic missionaries and enslavers of India.
> But propaganda is one thing, truth is another.

Yes. Another point I'll make here is that just people from Mysore are
hardly representative of opinions of Hindus on Vivekananda. The dvaitins
and vishistadvaitins have no reason to like V: he called dvaita and
vishistadvaita stepping stones for advaita (in that order)! However, he
is quite popular in many places, eg, Madras.

I wouldn't say V was as influential as Sha.nkara, but definitely V's
role in the giving the Indians of that time some self-confidence cannot
be denied (which was very important!). No doubt, he is not as popular
among scholars as Sha.nkara for obvious reasons. Also not so many people
have got tenure studying V's works :-) :-).

> Enough of Hindu credentials, I guess.

Swami Chidbhavanadar's explanation of the tiruvachagam is very lucid. I
highly recommend it if anyone's interested in that kind of thing.

Rama.