The south Asian bombs

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at GLOBALXS.NL
Mon Jun 1 21:40:55 UTC 1998

Op maandag, 01-jun-98 schreef Vidyasankar Sundaresan:

VS> It is now almost three weeks after Pokhran-II, and a day after the most
VS> recent test in Chagai. I've seen no direct reference to the nuclear
VS> testing on this list. Maybe Sarasvati and Dravidian etymology are
VS> explosive enough for us here. Maybe the bomb is not one of the issues
VS> that Indology should bother about.

VS> If so, it would be much appreciated if indirect references to it,
VS> frequently in a negative/contemptuous tone, are also avoided. If there
VS> is to be any talk about the bombs, let it be done directly and in the
VS> open. The ten (or eleven) explosions in south Asia have brought us no
VS> further into Kaliyuga than the thousands of explosions that preceded
VS> them elsewhere in the world. And unbelievable as it may seem, a
VS> substantial portion (or all) of the newest Indian and Pakistani bombs is
VS> due to domestic expertise, and in spite of Western opposition, not due
VS> to any great assistance. This might be a bizarre thing to be proud of,
VS> but such is international politics.

I think the problem is the angle. I think that no person with the slightest amount of common sense is applauding the latest fireworks of the party of Bombs Jabber and Poverty. But India is not alone. Other countries like France made the same mistake fairly recently. But what amazed me was the almost total absence of any antinuclear protest, like we've seen in France. Such demonstrations can count as kind of a slight rehabilitation. But they didn't happen in mother Bharat. Gandhi must be turning and tossing in his grave! I wonder if the popularity of the RAmAyana and Bhagavad GItA are causing this blindness. The real battle of power is going on in the field of economy and India (and Pakistan of course) are going down here. The battle on the nuclear field is over, since most politicians understand that nobody can win a nuclear war and the possession of nuclear weapens is very expensive and full of risks.
Rama and Arjuna are no executives, but fighters who use mythical nuclearish weaponry to defie the bad guys. Maybe many Indians see the atom bomb just as a new episode of one of their great epics. My suggestion would be therefore to look at the question: 'in what way and to what extend does Indian mythology influence Indian economics and politics?'

regards  erik

  Erik Hoogcarspel           <    jehms at globalxs.nl     ><       Boerhaaveln 99b     >
                             <    tl+31.(0)104157097    ><       3112 LE Schiedam    >
                             <    fx+31.(0)842113137    ><       Holland             >