TolkAppiyam

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Fri Jul 17 03:55:23 UTC 1998

>BTW, George Hart has completed the entire puRanAnURu translation.
>It will come out from Columbia university press.

J-L. Chevillard wrote:
<<<
Then to my knowledge, the only tokai-s
(among the eTTut tokai)
not having a full translation
will be akam (akanAn2URu) and kalittokai.
 (I am assuming that everybody can read the beautiful french
  translation of ParipATal by prof. François Gros ...)

There is an unpublished translation of akam
in the library of the French Institute of Pondicherry
by V.M.Subramanya Ayyar, but he died before
he was able to have it revised for publication.

There is another puRam translation which is ready for print
from IAS, Madras. ParipaaTal translation by Seshadri is
already published. Kalittokai and AkanaanuuRu are being
translated. May be, French Institute can give
VMS' translation for comparison purposes.

Puranaanuuru & other sangam works are as important as
Vedic material to understand ancient India, once George Hart
told me. We must hold dear any scraps of kshatryavidya,
Lars Fosse wrote here not too long ago. Well, sangam poetry
is one such.

Regards,
N. Ganesan