An old question

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Thu Jul 16 14:31:44 UTC 1998

Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>maybe we can use the term
>nevertheless. I will, in any case.
        I agree fully. 'langue maternelle' is clear and simple.
        We know well there is first a passive learning by the baby, such
that, when he begins to speak, he seems to have a secrete knowledge. This
gives the way to expressions such 'sucking the language with the milk from
the mother's breast'. Despite the gender's question, mother-tongue say
nothing else and father-tongue is nothing but the fault of style that we
call in French 'filer une metaphore'.
        Regards,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France