many pancakes

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Jul 11 10:52:03 UTC 1998

At 12:02 PM 7/10/98 +0200, you wrote:

>        Jonathan Silk suggests maNDaka and the (diminutive?) maNDIlaka.
>This last word is given by MW: m. 'a kind of cake' (diyAv.) (hidden after
>maNDa). Interesting. Made with cream (maNDa)? or shaped like the war-disk
>(maNDala)? In both cases the idea of a rotation is possible (manth- for the
>cream and for the poor head of Namuci).
>        All this is very useful to me and I hope subsequent advices. Thanks
>again,
>Dominique

According to suryarAyAndhra nighaNTu (A eight volume telugu dictionary)

maMDega= "a preparation made with fine wheat flour and ghee(ghRtam=clarified
butter)". kannaDa:'maMDage','maMDige'. tamil:'maMdihai'.sanskrit:'maNDakaH'

One lexicon (sabdaratnAkara)says it is sugarless puri (thin wheat flour
pancake fried in oil or ghee).

regards,

sarma.