many pancakes

jonathan silk jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 10 23:16:08 UTC 1998

Rolf Heiner Koch wrote:
>see DezIn. 6.117 = a sweat cake or so

What Dezinaamamaala 6.117 with commentary actually has is: ma.m.dillo
apuupa.h/  (For this Pischel/Ramanujaswami have in the glossary is "a small
round cake [f(rom) ma.m.dila]" No justification is given for this
understanding. But in any case, while I suspect this is related, it is not
the same form.)

Then, Dominique Thillaud wrote:

>>         Jonathan Silk suggests maNDaka and the (diminutive?) maNDIlaka.
>> This last word is given by MW: m. 'a kind of cake' (diyAv.) (hidden after
>> maNDa). Interesting. Made with cream (maNDa)? or shaped like the war-disk
>> (maNDala)? In both cases the idea of a rotation is possible (manth- for the
>> cream and for the poor head of Namuci).

And Avinash Sathaye added:

>My  book also has a recipe for maNDaka (termed maa.nDe in Marathi) and it is
>like a very thin
>and crisp version of roTii. It is to be roasted on the BOTTOM part of a clay
>pot (sort of like
>the Crepes) but it uses a thick kneaded dough, rather than  batter! The word
>probably refers to
>the shape, the professional versions are indeed as big as 1.5 feet in
>diameter!
>(They just use a big
>skillet and not a clay pot though!)

These still do not solve my essential problem. MW cites exactly the passage
I am trying to illucidate, so he definition is useless to me. I have
assumed that ma.n.diilaka is indeed some sort of diminutive, and that it is
probably some sort of round cake, but what I would really like to find is
whether the word appears anywhere else at all.  No help in that department?

Jonathan SILK

jonathan.silk at yale.edu