The Cat (and the Dog)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Jan 31 13:16:36 UTC 1998

On Jan 31 Amos Nevo writes:
>As far as I remember, there is a chapter in the Chandogya Upanishad
>dealing with "priest" dogs. Does it mean that in ancient times dogs were
>not considered dirty, or is it a satyric chapter, discribing the priests
>in a derogatory way?
>
>Amos nevo

At least according to Sankara it is not a satirical passage.He says

svAdhyAyEna tOSitA dEvatarSirvA zvarUpaM gRhItvA zvA zvEtaH saMstasmA
RSayE tadanugrahArthaM prAdurbabhUva prAduzcakAra.

Pleased by the study of the vEda by baka ( alias glAva), a divine being
or a RSi took the form of a white dog in order to confer grace on him.

regards,

sarma.