The Cat (and the Dog)

Bhadraiah Mallampalli Vaidix at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 31 10:05:51 UTC 1998

Amos nevo asked..

> As far as I remember, there is a chapter in the Chandogya Upanishad
> dealing with "priest" dogs. Does it mean that in ancient times dogs were
> not considered dirty, or is it a satyric chapter, discribing the priests
> in a derogatory way?

The upaniSat's mention of uttering the syllable hiG in that context is
notable.  hiGkArA is a symbol of animalistic behavior according to chAndogyA
(sevenfold sAmA).  According to my interpretations, hiGkArA is the first stage
of thought cycle when instincts drive the thoughts.  Dog being an animal
living on instincts is known to be worshipper of hiGkArA.

The rite mentioned in which the priests move about holding their hands
together on the last day of somayAga when they extract somA, is yet to be
interpreted.  It might point to a meditation.

Bhadraiah Mallampali
http://www.fornunecity.com/roswell/bailey/64