A transgression?

JR Gardner jgardner at BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU
Sat Jan 24 06:14:22 UTC 1998

As I have been reviewing the history of Vedic schoalrship and, especially,
benefitting from T. Elizarenkova's recent 'Language and Style of the Vedic
RSis', it is hard not to marvel and envy the wealth of scholarship from
the former Soviet Union which, to my youthful experience, has only
recently become readily accessible.

I ask this with some trepidation in light of the possible politics I could
be raising--and so apologize in advance as that is not my intent--but
nonetheless I am quite curious what discourse--if any--and on what topics
with the scholars of the former "eastern block" existed during the cold
war.  Further, did detente bring about a change, and if so where (topic
and author-wise) in Indology?  Perhaps the veterans in the field might
indulge this inquiry about the recent history -- prior, say, to 1975 -- of
our collective paramparaa?

Thank you in advance,

John Robert Gardner      Obermann Center
School of Religion         for Advanced Studies
University of Iowa       University of Iowa
319-335-2164             319-335-4034
http://vedavid.org       http://www.uiowa.edu/~obermann/