A transgression?

winnie fellows winnie.fellows at UNIKEY.COM.BR
Sat Jan 24 14:43:20 UTC 1998

--

>, it is hard not to marvel and envy the wealth of scholarship from
>the former Soviet Union which, to my youthful experience, has only
>recently become readily accessible.

That's true. The russian-soviet tradition of Oriental studies was a quite
wealthy one and for reasons of linguistic barriers and to some extend
prejudice hardly known in Western Europe. In the field of Buddhist studies,
Scherbatsky was of the few exceptions. In the lexicographic and grammatical
studies there  are still waiting to be translated dozens of important if not
breakingthrough works. Of course the sociological, historical and related
field-studies were inevitably impregnated by those rigid
historical-materislistic dogma and whenever one of such books came into my
hands ( I used to buy a good number of soviet indological and sinological
books through Otto Harrassowits Verlag in the 70's )  I wouldn't be able to
do more than to look here and there avoiding, above all, those liturgical
marxist-leninistic prefaces. But as for the linguistic material it was a
different question. Otto Harrassowitz of Wiesbaden did a quite remarkable
job in making so many titles availlable. The soviet studies in the field of
Tibetology was also remarkable.