Uttara Kuru

Erik Seldeslachts erik.seldeslachts at RUG.AC.BE
Fri Jan 16 15:23:18 UTC 1998

Chris Beetle wrote:

> At 02:38 PM 1/9/98 +0100, you wrote:

> >This is not entirely true. In Greek and Latin sources Uttarakuru is
> rendered >Ottorokora (and variants).
>
> For some research I am doing, I would like to know a reference for this.
>
> >In the Geography of Ptolemy Ottorokora is a city, Ottorokoras is a river and
> >Ottorokorai a people,
>
> Do you have a specific reference for this as well?

Ottorokora etc.: Ptolemaeus, Geographia 6.16.2-3,5,8 (the only good
edition of the 6th book of Ptolemy is that of Ronca 1971);
Opurocorra: Ammianus Marcellinus, Res gestae 23.6.64;
Ottorogora(e): Paulus Orosius, Historiae adversum paganos 1.2.14 and
1.2.44-45;
Torgoris: Anonymus Ravennatis, Cosmographia 2.3
Attacori: Plinius, Naturalis historia 6.55; Solinus, Collectanea rerum
memorabilium 51.1; Martianus Capella, De nuptiis philologiae et
mercurii 6.693.

Regards,

Erik Seldeslachts
Universiteit Gent