pu-/pU-/po-

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Feb 28 00:51:47 UTC 1998

At 10:03 PM 2/26/98 +0500, you wrote:
>At 01:34 AM 2/26/98 EST, you wrote:
> From
>>this, it is clear that this is also from the same root as pukai (smoke,
>vapor,
>>incense) is, i.e., *puk- discussed in an earlier posting. Here "-az" is a
>>suffix. (*pok- that has been accepted earlier by Comparative Dravidianists
>>will have to be revised.) Compare Ta. kam-az from the root Ta. kam emitting
>>fragrance.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>S. Palaniappan
>>

>In telugu we have one word which contains both kam- and pu-.
>
>        kampu =  bad smell
>
>In Telugu kam- appears to be associated with bad smell.
>
>        kamuru vAsana = bad smell due to burning of oil or animal fat
>                          ( especially of animal fat).
>
>regards,
>
>sarma.

In addition to the above we have a verb kammu- in telugu with the
meaning 'spread' or 'fill up'.

AkAzaM niMDA mabbulu kammukonnAyi =  the whole sky is filled with
                                           clouds or clouds have spread
                                     through the whole sky

inTi niMDA poga kammukoMdi = smoke has spread throghout the house or
                             the whole house is filled with smoke

kam- appears to have good smell meaning in the word 'kammani',
if we assume that kam- which originally qualified smell has later
been used to qualify taste.

                kammani ruci = pleasent taste
                kammani vAsana = pleasent smell

regards,