pu-/pU-/po-

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Feb 26 17:03:34 UTC 1998

At 01:34 AM 2/26/98 EST, you wrote:
 From
>this, it is clear that this is also from the same root as pukai (smoke,
vapor,
>incense) is, i.e., *puk- discussed in an earlier posting. Here "-az" is a
>suffix. (*pok- that has been accepted earlier by Comparative Dravidianists
>will have to be revised.) Compare Ta. kam-az from the root Ta. kam emitting
>fragrance.
>
>Regards
>
>S. Palaniappan

In telugu we have one word which contains both kam- and pu-.

        kampu =  bad smell

In Telugu kam- appears to be associated with bad smell.

        kamuru vAsana = bad smell due to burning of oil or animal fat
                          ( especially of animal fat).

regards,

sarma.