Madame Blavatsky and the swastika

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 23 18:14:37 UTC 1998

---"N. Ganesan"  wrote:

> The poor Swastika was invented and in use from
> the Indus Valley Civilization, (IVC).

It is not clear that the IVC people "invented" the swastika. They have
certainly used it.

It would appear that this symbol was already known to the
Proto-Elamite cultures. Also, in the course of discussion of their
art, at least one writer  has speculated that this symbol is an
abstraction of a kneeling adorant with outstretched hand(s).

I do not have the reference off the top of my head but you can consult
with profit Harappan Civilization: A Contemporary Perspective, ed. G.
Possehl.

Thanks and Warm Regards.

==
Lakshmi Srinivas