The Aryans (again); 19th century discourse.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at WXS.NL
Thu Dec 17 21:04:41 UTC 1998

SNS <sns at IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote:

>>It was announced (e.g. in the Bibliography of Beekes, op.cit.) as
>>"Encyclopaedia of IE Studies".  I cannot find either title at
>>amazon.com.
>>
>Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture
>by James Mallory (Editor), D. Q. Adams (Editor)
>Our Price: $135.00
>Hardcover illustrate edition (October 1997)
>Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers; ISBN: 1884964982

Correct.  My mistake, I had searched for "Mallory, J.P.".

Frankly, I don't think that's a meaningful title.  We can reconstruct
the PIE language, but I'm very sceptical of "Indo-European culture".

To take the analogy with English again: if we didn't have the Old
English documents, what would modern English vocabulary and
culture(s) tell us about the culture of the Anglo-Saxons of AD 500?
Not much, I think.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam