The Aryans (again); 19th century discourse.

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Thu Dec 17 21:47:45 UTC 1998

Namaskar Ganesan and others,

I had said that I would quota a Sanskrit sloka that had mentioned the word
Dravidam as meaning wealth. When I had sent that to you, you wrote back
saying that Dravida was coined by someone named Caldwell who used the
following :

                Tamizh -> Damila -> Dramila -> Dramida.  Robert Caldwell coined the term,
Dravidian from Dramida which means Tamil in Sanskrit.

I also aked you to give me the name of the Sanskrit dictionary that
mentions Dramida as Tamil. I am not disagreeing with this but the one I
have does not have the word Dramida. I have the mails if you need them. You
had also mentioned that Sankaracharya had called a Tamil saint as Dramida.
I think I had asked you some questions to which you did not respond. There
is also no need to take this as an attack on yourself as I was merely
quoting you, not twisting your words. I have sent you Baltuch's mail in
that context.

Regards
Ashish