SV: Fortunatov's Law and tolkAppiyar's rules

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed Aug 12 20:05:34 UTC 1998

I have a question regarding these sound changes:

>The change c^ -> c cannot be later than the second palatalization (change
>of PIE *k/*k-super-w to c^ before e/i) which must have preceded the
>merger of e/o/a. So, under the above scenario, the merger of e/o/a must
>be later than the split of Indian from Iranian.
>
>I find this quite incredible.

It depends on the exact phonetics of Proto-Indo-Iranian.

Clearly, the satem and the ruki-phenomena are the oldest, as they are
shared by Indo-Iranian, Balto-Slavic and Armenian.  For "proto-satem"
(proto-East-Indo-Eropean), we can assume:

The fact that a certain phenomenon is shared by some languages does not exclude the possibility that they occurred independently in some of  - or all of - the languages. How do we know that the changes are not independent?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse