Bhairava on coin

Dr. Nupam Mahajan nupam at MED.UNC.EDU
Wed Aug 5 20:59:37 UTC 1998

Dear Mr.Sundaresan

This coin was debated among few of my friends and it was generally
agreed that it was issued by Bhujbalas. The style of this coin
ruling in Nellore region of modern Andhra pradesh and Bolangir
district of modern Orissa state issued coins in the name of Bhujabalas
or Bhujavalas (literally strong armed ones).  On this coin there is
a legend in Kanarese/Telugu which reads :Bhairava". The question
is if Bahirava is the name of the ruler who issued the coin
or it suggest the name of deity of ruler's fancy. Alternately, do
we know any Telugu Choda ruler whose name or title was Bhairava?

This is an uniface gold coin with four punches (in similar style as that
of Yadava and Kakatiya dynasties with Devnagri or Telugu-Kanarese
inscription). Two punch marks create two "Shri" alphabates in Telugu which
depicts lord Vishnu. The third punch mark correspond to the Telugu
inscription on this coin which reads "Bhairava". Apart from inscription,
there is a triangular motif which most likely represents temple or crown
mark with Ankush. This triangular motif was peculiar to Chalukyas of
Kalayani. There are no other legends. The image of coins is available at:
http://www.med.unc.edu/~nupam/postg1.html

Thus, as you can see, it is bit difficult to assign the coin to any
specific ruler of Bhujabala dynasty. I tentatively assigned 11th-13th
century for this coin because of the above reason.

Regards,

Nupam

Dr. Nupam Mahajan, PhD
School of Medicine, CB#7090