learning sanskrit

Margo Romberg mromberg at BINDU.PRESTEL.CO.UK
Sat Apr 18 08:50:47 UTC 1998

I am looking for some advice as one who wishes to learn Sanskrit in the
relative comfort of my own home.  I have the comparative advantage of a
degree in Classics and a deep love of Classical Greek.

My interest is caused by my study of yoga, particularly Patanjali's Yoga
Sutras and Swatmarama's Hatha Yoga Pradipika.  (My copies of these have
devanaagari script, Roman transliteration and translation)  I have bought
Coulson's Teach Yourself Sanskrit, but it looks heavy going for a complete
beginner, even one familiar with Classical Greek.  I have downloaded
Charles Wikner's "Sanskrit Introductory" and am working through it.  I find
it extremely helpful, particularly for getting to grips with the
devanaagari script.  However, I can see that when I have finished working
through Wikner, Coulson will still be rather difficult to work on
(especially since my time at present is pretty limited).  Following
Wikner's advice on further reading I have ordered Hart's Rapid Sanskrit
Method and look forward to receiving it.

Now my questions:

1) Are there any fairly easy texts that I can work on in conjunction with
Hart, either in printed form or available on the Internet?

2) Are there any courses in Sanskrit in the UK that I could make use of as
self-study courses?  (I live in Dundee, Scotland, by the way, some distance
from the nearest university - Edinburgh - that has a Department teaching
Sanskrit.)

Any advice or suggestions from list members will be very gratefully received.
Best wishes,
Margo von Romberg