A question about Urdu poetry

Frances Pritchett fp7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Apr 18 13:23:01 UTC 1998

Urdu poetics is an area in which I have done a fair amount of work-- cf
*Nets of Awareness:  Urdu Poetry and Its Critics* (U Cal 1994)-- and am
currently doing more.  If you read Urdu, the work of Shamsur Rahman
Faruqi, and above all his four-volume tour de force *Shi`r-e shor angez*
(New Delhi:  Bureau for the Promotion of Urdu, 1990-94), an intikhab and
sharh of the poetry of Mir, would be the best single source I know.

cordially,
Fran Pritchett