Phoneme /q/ in Kohistani Shina

Ruth Laila Schmidt r.l.schmidt at EAST.UIO.NO
Sat Apr 11 15:36:14 UTC 1998

Dear members of the list,

Can anyone suggest where to look for sources for the following vocabulary
items which contain the phoneme /q/ in Kohistani Shina?

'thooNqar, a species of frog (falling tone on the long vowel)
qur'luu, a children's game  (no data for tones)
quuNj, 'stack of firewood' (falling tone on the vowel)
ba'Raq, 'shining'
pa'Raq, 'sudden laughter'

My data includes many loanwords with /q/ (originally from Arabic) and
indigenous words with /q/. The two that are definitely of IA origin are:

qaa, 'crow' (falling tone on the vowel)
ma'noq, 'frog'

I am hoping to assign the five mystery items to one category or another.

With thanks, and best holiday wishes,

Ruth Schmidt

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Dept of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1030 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo, Norway
Phone: (47) 22 85 55 86