Phoneme /q/ in Kohistani Shina

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Apr 13 16:05:07 UTC 1998

It strikes me that two of the Kh. Shina words with /q/ cited by you are
frog words; Turner (CDIAL #9746), re ma.n.dUka- (presumably source
of Kh. Shina ma'noqu) refers to "many aberrant
forms in NIA...due to taboo".  Perhaps this is relevant.  Note
also that 'thooNqar',
'a species of frog' is the only word listed by you with /q/ in medial
position.

R. Salomon