Downloading diacritic Roman fonts for Indian Languages

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Sep 17 23:48:52 UTC 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

> For quite sometime, I have been trying to download the Roman diacritic fonts
> (CSX or Norman) from the the following site
> ftp://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/pub/john/software/fonts
> I have not been successful. When I download the fonts like tm-csx.zip and
> open it, the computer (PC) tries to treat it as a data file of an accounting
> software I have (Bestware)  and gives up.

I've experienced this problem before but not with the bombay site. Try
holding down [shift] while you click on the filename. Perhaps your browser
does not recognize the extension .zip. Go into your browser options can
set zip as a valid file extension (zip-application). Best yet is to revert
back to the old FTP software... :-> Can't go wrong with the tried and
true.

> Does anybody else know/have these or other similar fonts which I can easily
> download and install? I would appreciate installation instructions also.
> Thanks in advance.

Installation is fairly straightforward for TrueType fonts in Windows 95.
Just copy the fonts to the fonts directory and they should be available.
Fot Windows 3.1: open up the Control Panel and choose Add Fonts. Add the
fonts, and they should be available for use.

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey