Downloading diacritic Roman fonts for Indian Languages

John Smith jds10 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Sep 17 15:05:16 UTC 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

> For quite sometime, I have been trying to download the Roman diacritic fonts
> (CSX or Norman) from the the following site
> ftp://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/pub/john/software/fonts
> I have not been successful. When I download the fonts like tm-csx.zip and
> open it, the computer (PC) tries to treat it as a data file of an accounting
> software I have (Bestware)  and gives up.

What exactly do you mean by "download the fonts ... and open it?" The PC
fonts on the server you are using are stored in archive files using the
zip format: to extract the actual fonts you have to run pkunzip, or some
equivalent program, on them. Have you done this?

> Does anybody else know/have these or other similar fonts which I can easily
> download and install? I would appreciate installation instructions also.
> Thanks in advance.

Once you have successfully downloaded and extracted the fonts you want,
open up Control Panel and double-click on Fonts: then choose "Add fonts"
(or whatever exactly it says) and select the new fonts. This will install
them: they will be available for use by any program on your machine.

Hope this helps.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html