Shaka and Samvat Era

hzhao at sas.upenn.edu hzhao at sas.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 1 19:27:36 UTC 1997

I heard that the Shaka Era began in 78 CE, and that one converts from
Shaka Era to CE by adding 78 or 79,  depending on the month.  But this
will make, say July 78 CE, fall in year 0 of Shaka Era.  Is this the
case?  Also when did the Samvat era begin and how should one convert
between it and CE and BCE?

Also,  Caitanya Mahaprabhu is said to have appeared on the Purnima night of
phalguna masa of 1407 Shaka Era,  and I heard it is Feb 18, 1486.  But
the end of phalguna masa doesn't usually seem to occur that early.
Another account is that it was the 23rd of phalguna masa.  Does anyone
have any authoritative source on this?

Thanks,
Chuck Zhao