measures

jayabarathi jaybee at TM.NET.MY
Fri Oct 10 15:37:27 UTC 1997

At 11:50 AM 10/10/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Bonjour,
>
>In a commentary I found these words which seem to be names of measures:
>
>- ma.n.dala
>- kumbhaka
>- vi'sopa
>- rajju
>- vii.n.dya or viigha
>- hala
>- nakha
>
>Does anyone have ever seen these names of measure and know a reference
>book where I could get informations ?

        Dear Monsieur,

                The rajju is a measure used by builders and
                sculptors. It is equivalent to 8 Hastas.
                1 Hasta is 24 inches.
                Therefore 1 Rajju = 192 inches or 16 feet.
                I have also noticed the term used in Astrology.
                Have to check up in what context.

                The Ma.n.dala stands for the orb, or circle.
                It also means the circumference.
                It also is a division consisting of a certain
                number of slokas. Seems to apply more to the
                R.g Veda.
                Mandala is also used in calenders. It is a period
                 of time consisting of 3 pakshas.
                1 paksha is the period from the 1st day of the waxing
                moon to the Full Moon or from the 1st day of the waning
                moon to the New Moon. Itis a period of 15 days.
                2 pakshas make 1 Lunar month.
                3 pakshas make 1 Ma.n.dala.
                This is used in the Consecration of temples. After the
                Kumbha Abhishekham, the Ma.n.dala Abishekham
                is performed.
                Nowadays in the temples, the ma.n.dala is
                considered to be 48 days.
                ma.n.dala is also used in the Siddha Medicine
                of South India. Certain types of Medicine are
                given for a ma.n.dala in treatment of specific ailments.

        Regards,

        Jayabarathi
        Malaysia.